Skip to main content

Rent supplement allowances

If you are living in private rented accommodation in Ireland and receive a social welfare or Health Service Executive payment, you may qualify for rent supplement.

The scheme is administered by the, Department of Social Protection under their Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme. The Citizens Information website also provides details of the Rent Supplement Scheme and a comprehensive guide to renting a home in Ireland.

Income tax relief on rent

If you do not qualify for rent supplement you may qualify for income tax relief on rent paid for private accommodation. This relief may also be available for rent on premises outside of Ireland. To apply contact your local tax office.

Page last reviewed: 01/06/15

Back to top