Proposal to Commence the Preparation of the Draft Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030
Closed for submissions
Submission deadline: Monday September 4, 2023
- EXTENSION OF PUBLIC CONSULTATION PERIOD AND INVITATION FOR SUBMISSIONS -
Clare County Council is extending the public consultation period for the preparation of a Draft Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030 to Monday 4th September 2023.
A Local Area Plan is a statutory document that sets out the planning and development objectives of the Council for the designated area and is prepared in accordance with the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended).
In accordance with Section 20(1) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended), pre-draft submissions on issues relating to the proposed Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan are invited. You are advised that this Plan is proposed to include the town of Shannon, Shannon Airport, the Industrial Estates and the environs area. These submissions will be taken into account in the preparation of the new Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030.
Strategic Environmental Assessment and Appropriate Assessment
In compliance with the Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive (2001/42/EC) and pursuant to Article 14 A-E of the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004, as amended, the Planning Authority will carry out a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) as part of the preparation of a new Local Area Plan. For this purpose, the Planning Authority will prepare an environmental report of the likely significant effects on the environment of implementing the new Local Area Plan and the provisions of Articles 14C to 14J of the Planning and Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004, as amended, shall apply.
Pursuant to the requirements of Article 6 of the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) and Section 177U of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, a screening for appropriate assessment of the draft Local Area Plan shall be carried out together with an Appropriate Assessment if it cannot be excluded that, on the basis of objective information, that the draft Local Area Plan, individually or in combination with other plans and projects, will have a significant effect on a European site.
Pre-Draft Issues Paper
In order to stimulate debate and encourage participation regarding the preparation of the Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030, a Pre-Draft Issues Paper has been prepared which identifies suggested planning issues that the new Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan could address. A copy of the Pre-Draft Issues Paper can be viewed on Clare County Council’s website www.clarecoco.ie and below. Copies are also available to view between normal working hours, until Monday 4th September 2023 at the following locations:
- Áras Contae an Chláir, New Road, Ennis
- Shannon Municipal District Office, Town Hall, Shannon
- Shannon Library
Clare County Council hereby invites any interested parties to make submissions or observations with regard to the preparation of the new Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030 including the SEA and AA processes. Submissions/observations may be made until Monday 4th September 2023 inclusive.
In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following:
- Submissions/observations should include your name and may include your address, and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc., which you represent.
- Submissions/observations regarding objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of Shannon Town may be made in writing within the specified period. Submissions/observations at this stage of the overall Plan-making process should be strategic in nature and focus on ‘big picture’ issues.
- Children, or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are particularly encouraged to make submissions or observations regarding the foregoing.
- Please be advised that all submissions received may be published online in accordance with the requirements of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended. You should ensure that no vexatious, libellous or confidential information, including confidential information relating to a third party (in respect of which the third party has not, expressly, or impliedly in the circumstances, consented to its disclosure) is included in your submission. The Planning Authority reserves the right to redact any submission or part thereof that does not comply with this requirement. Please be advised that the submission will be published in full.
- Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. in hard copy or via email. This will avoid the duplication of submission reference numbers and will streamline the process.
A submission/observation can be submitted by one of the following methods:
- In writing to: Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030, Planning Department, Clare County Council, New Road, Ennis, Co Clare. V95 DXP2
- By email to: email@example.com . Subject headline should read “Shannon Town and Environs Local Area Plan 2024-2030”
The deadline for receipt of submissions/observations is Monday 4th September 2023.
If you have any queries or require more detail, please contact the Forward Planning Section by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 065-6846407/6846451.
Clare County Council
Áras Contae an Chláir
New Road, Ennis
Page last updated: 27/07/23Back to top