Domestic wastewater treatment systems (including septic tanks)
Inspections are being carried out to make sure that Domestic Wastewater Treatment Systems (DWWTSs), including septic tanks and treatment plants, do not pose a risk to human health or the environment. Owners of DWWTSs are obliged to properly operate and maintain their systems as required under the Water Services Act, 2007 and Water Services (Amendment) Act 2012.
Grants are available under the following schemes however, there are restrictions on eligibility under each scheme.
- Grants for domestic wastewater treatment system under EPA National Inspection Plan
- Grants for domestic wastewater treatment system in Prioritised Areas for Action
- Grants for domestic wastewater treatment system in High Status Objective Catchment Areas
If you have queries regarding registration and refunds you should contact the Protect Our Water Support Centre.
- Useful information from the EPA on septic tanks and Domestic Waste Water Treatment Systems
- Operating and Maintaining your Septic Tank system (including de-sludging frequency)
- Domestic waste water treatment systems (septic tanks)
- Guidance on wastewater treatment systems for a single house
- National Inspection Plan 2022-2026
Page last reviewed: 04/04/23Back to top
This is just for feedback on our web site, not comments or questions about our services.
To tell us about anything else, go to our contact us pages.