Skip to main content

Replace a motor tax document

If one of your motor tax documents has been lost, stolen or destroyed you should replace it. This guide applies to tax discs, registration books/certificates and trailer licence cards.

How to replace a motor tax document

  1. Get the form

    You can also get the form at your local Garda station. 

  2. Complete the form and bring it to your local Garda station

    A Garda signs and stamps the form.

  3. Include payment

    The current costs of replacement are as follows:

    Document Replacement cost
    Tax disc €6
    Registration book/certificate RF101 €12
    Trailer license card €6
    • If paying by cheque or postal order, make the cheque/postal order payable to Clare County Council Motor Taxation. 
    • For cheques, write your telephone number and vehicle registration number on the back of the cheque.
  4. Submit the form and fee to the motor tax office

    Send or bring the form together with the fee to the Motor Tax Office.


Motor Tax Office Ennis
Clare County Council
Áras Contae an Chláir
New Road
Co. Clare
V95 DXP2
(065) 6844661 : phone-line available from 9.15 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays.
Opening hours
  • Monday - Friday: 9:15 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: Closed
  • Motor Tax services also available online or by submitting a postal application to this office.
More details and map


How long does it take?

For a tax disc, registration book or trailer licence replacement, if you apply by post we process your application on the day we receive it and post your replacement document to you that same day. If you apply in person we process the application and give you the document at the time. 

After we process your application for a vehicle registration certificate in the Motor Tax office, the Department of Transport in Shannon issues the replacement certificate directly to you as the registered owner. 

Back to top

Page last reviewed: 10/01/18