Limerick Northern Distributor Road
Route corridor selection report
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Route Corridor Selection Report - Volume 1 - Main Text [PDF, 15.11MB]
Route corridor selection report drawings
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Volume 2 - Drawings Book 1 [PDF, 27.88MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Volume 2 - Drawings Book 2 [PDF, 43.58MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Volume 2 - Drawings Book 3 [PDF, 43.02MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Volume 2 - Drawings Book 4 [PDF, 42.46MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Volume 2 - Drawings Book 5 [PDF, 39.06MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road - Volume 2 - Drawings Book 6 [PDF, 26.07MB]
Draft constraints study
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Volume 1 - Main Text [PDF, 4.78MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Supplementary Constraints Information [PDF, 6.9MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Volume 2 - Drawings Part 1 [PDF, 22.13MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Volume 2 - Drawings Part 2 [PDF, 41.69MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Volume 2 - Drawings Part 3 [PDF, 68.25MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Volume 2 - Drawings Part 4 [PDF, 27.19MB]
- Limerick Northern Distributor Road Draft Constraints Study: Volume 2 - Drawings Part 5 [PDF, 61.34MB]
Public consultation 2: Emerging preferred route
- Public Consultation No. 2 Questionnaire [PDF, 124KB]
- Public Consultation No. 2 Information Leaflet [PDF, 848KB]
- Section 1 Aerial Photography [PDF, 915 KB]
- Section 2 Aerial Photography [PDF, 915 KB]
Submissions and observations, in writing, are invited from interested groups or individuals regarding the emerging preferred route corridor.
All submissions should be clearly endorsed with the project's name, Limerick Northern Distributor Road Project Phase 2, and posted to the undersigned on or before Friday, 11th of May, 2012:
Clare County Council,
Áras Contae an Chláir,
Background to the scheme
Clare County Council in conjunction with Limerick City Council and Limerick County Council has commenced the planning process to advance the development of the Limerick Northern Distributor Road and associated infrastructure from a location in the vicinity of the Eastern end of the proposed Coonagh-Knockalisheen Strategic Route to a tie-in with the R445 (Old N7) in County Limerick.
The scheme will comprise the design and construction of approximately 10 kilometres of a northern distributor road that will include a crossing of the Ardnacrusha Tailrace and the River Shannon, together with possible crossings of the Blackwater and Mulkear Rivers.
The planning stages of the development will involve
- The identification of a number of route options from which a preferred route corridor will be selected and a preliminary design developed
- Environmental studies leading to the publication of an environmental impact statement
- Completion of the statutory planning process including the publication of a compulsory purchase order
Members of the public were made aware of the proposal to develop a number of route options leading to the selection of a preferred route corridor in December 2010 by means of advertisement in the local newspapers and on local radio stations. Public information leaflets were made available to the public at the following locations:
- Clare County Council, Áras Contae an Chláir, New Road, Ennis, County Clare
- South East Clare Area Office, Westbury Centre, Knockballynameath, County Clare
- Limerick County Council, County Hall, Dooradoyle, County Limerick
- Annacotty Area Office, Limerick County Council, Rivers, Castletroy, County Limerick
- Limerick City Council, City Hall, Merchants Quay, Limerick City
A study area has been established to assist the design team in identifying a number of feasible route options. These route options are presented in the documents below:
- Map showing Route Options [PDF, 518KB]
- Route Options - Section 1 Aerial Photography [PDF,952KB]
- Route Options - Section 2 Aerial Photography [PDF,820KB]
Programme of public consultations
|Constraints Stage||Q4 2010||Complete|
|Route Selection Stage (PC1)||Q2 2011||Complete|
|Emerging Preferred Route (PC2)||Q1 2012||Now in progress|
Need for the scheme
The need for the scheme was identified in ‘The Limerick Planning, Land Use and Transportation Study’ for Greater Limerick prepared by Clare County Council, Tipperary North County Council and Limerick City and County Councils. The study identified many strategic issues that required consideration in the future planning of the region including the need for the provision of a northern distributor road around Limerick City and a new bridge crossing over the Shannon to the north of Limerick City.
The Fitzgerald Report ‘Addressing the issues of Social Exclusion in Moyross and other disadvantaged areas of Limerick City’ (April 2007) has recommended that a distributor road to the north of Limerick City be progressed to develop economic activity and end the isolation of this deprived area.
The various local and county development plans published by Clare County Council and Limerick City and County Councils make provision for the delivery of the proposed road scheme.
The proposed scheme will provide a northern distributor road around Limerick City, improving accessibility to the city from County Clare and relieving pressure on the existing river crossings in the City Centre. The road will provide significant improvement in connectivity between different areas along the northern fringe of the city, allowing people living in residential areas to the east of Limerick to access employment areas in the west of Limerick and vice versa.
The Limerick Northern Distributor Road will promote balanced regional development in Limerick County and South Clare. After delivery of the proposed road it is hoped that economic development will be encouraged as improved access attracts investment to the area.
The fundamental objective of the scheme is, therefore, to provide a transport link between the eastern and western fringes of Limerick City and a link to South County Clare to facilitate economic development in this region.
Page last reviewed: 07/03/13Back to top
This is just for feedback on our web site, not comments or questions about our services.
To tell us about anything else, go to our contact us pages.