Fire safety codes of practice
The Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage has published codes of practice on fire safety to assist those in charge of premises to discharge their duties under the fire services acts.
These documents are on the Housing, Local Government and Heritage website. Links to the documents are given below:
- Code of Practice for Fire Safety Assessment of Premises and Buildings
- Code of Practice for the Management of Fire Safety in Places of Assembly
- Code of Practice for Fire Safety of Furnishings and Fittings in Places of Assembly (1989)
- Code of Practice for Fire Safety and Indoor Concerts 1998
- Guide to Fire Safety in Existing Nursing Homes and Similar Type Premises (1996)
- Guide to Fire Safety in Flats, Bedsitters and Apartments (1994)
- Guide to Fire Safety in Guest Accommodation
- Guide to Fire Precautions in Existing Hotels, Guesthouses and Similar Premises
- Fire Safety in Gaeltacht Households Accommodating Foghlaimeoirí Gaeilge
- Fire Safety in Preschools (1999)
- Fire Safety in Hostels (1998)
The principles on which many of the codes are based are summarised as follows:
- Management of fire safety.
- Avoidance of outbreak of fire.
- Early detection of fire and early warning to staff and guests to facilitate and adequate response.
- Compartmentation of buildings and provision of escape routes, which are protected from fire and smoke.
- Limitation of the development and spread of fire.
- Early suppression of fire, where feasible.
- Effective evacuation procedures.
- Access and facilities for the fire service.
Page last reviewed: 03/03/22Back to top