Housing Aid for Older People Scheme
This grant is for people 66 years old or more to do essential repairs, so that they can continue
to live in their own home. Sometimes this grant can be paid to people under 66 years old, but
only in cases of hardship.
In order to qualify for a housing grant, the work must be necessary for either emergency medical reasons or emergency structural issues that relate to or affect the applicant’s property.
What type of home is this grant for?
A home that is privately owned where the older person:
- owns the home; or
- has a right to live in the home (right of residence) where the work will be done
What can I use this grant for?
- You can use this grant to do essential repairs. This could be to:
- help repair or replace the roof;
- upgrade the electrical wiring;
- repair or replace doors and windows;
- provide central heating (where there is no central heating or it is broken beyond
Special requirements for this grant
To help us to assess your application we ask that you provide a written quotation and some photographs of the area or room where you hope to carry out works.
No medical documents are needed for this grant, as it is based on the condition of your home, and how urgently the repairs are needed. However, if your application is urgent due to a medical condition, you will need to complete the Doctor’s Certificate section of the application form on pages 17-18.
Conditions for acceptance and documentation required
In order to qualify for a housing grant, the work must be necessary for emergency medical reasons or emergency structural issues affecting the property of the applicantCentral Heating: There is no grant available under this scheme for upgrading an existing central heating system. These grants are available from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland at 1850 927000 or www.seai.ie.
You should provide the following to assist us in considering your application where possible:
- Photographic evidence
- Medical reports and letters of support from health care professionals
Please be sure to include the following documentation in the application. We regret that we must return all incomplete applications.
- Fully completed application form
- Evidence of household income from all sources
- A written itemised quotation will help us to process your application
- Evidence of compliance with local property tax
Page last reviewed: 14/01/20Back to top