Skip to main content

Road opening licence

Clare County Council requires that any person/company who wishes to open up a section of public road or footpath obtain a road opening licence before carrying out any work. This is to ensure that all openings carried out are reinstated properly and are therefore safe for public use.

The area offices deal with the issuing of road opening licences. A "road" includes footpaths, verges and carriageways.

A road opening licence is required for:

  • Connection to water main
  • Connection to sewer
  • ESB
  • Telecom
  • Pipelaying etc.

An application for a Road Opening Licence must be submitted online through the MapRoad website which is administered by the national Road Management Office.

For further details or to register for MapRoad please visit the MapRoad website.

Page last reviewed: 20/11/18

Back to top