Skip to main content

State support

When you arrive in Ireland you can apply to the Department of Social Protection for financial support.

You may apply for a temporary social welfare payment called Supplementary Welfare Allowance. It is a weekly payment for you and any dependents (for example, children) you may have. If you need help applying for this payment, you can visit your nearest Ukraine Support Centre. Further information on Support Centres are available online. You will continue to get Supplementary Welfare Allowance until you are in receipt of a more suitable social welfare payment. You can find out more about the range of social welfare payments available.

If you have children, you can get Child Benefit. This is a monthly payment paid to the parents or guardians of children aged under 16. It is also paid for children aged 16 and 17 in full-time education. You do not have to have proof that your 16- and 17-year-old children are in full-time education for the first 2 months after you arrive in Ireland.

Ukrainians who have come to Ireland because of the war will satisfy the habitual residence condition for social welfare payments.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS number)

You need to get a PPS number (an Irish social security number). You can get information about how to apply for a PPS number at the reception centre when you arrive in Dublin Airport.

If you are in Ireland already, you should go to a Ukraine Support Centre if you are in Cork, Dublin or Limerick, or go to your local Intreo centre. You should not apply online for your PPS number.

There is 1 Intreo Centre located in Clare that issues PPS numbers:

  • Ennis Intreo Centre – Kilrush Road, Ennis, Co Clare, V95 YP70
  • Contact information: (0818) 405060 /

More information

The Irish Government has published social welfare information for people arriving from Ukraine under the Temporary Protection Directive. This information is also available in Ukrainian and in Russian.

Page last reviewed: 11/08/23

Back to top