Clare County Council Privacy Notice CCTV Ennis, Cloughleigh
The purpose of this privacy notice is to describe, in clear terms, the personal data that the CCTV system may collect about individuals, why it is needed, the legal basis, how it is used and how individuals may interact with the Council in relation their personal data and the CCTV system. It also outlines the rights of individuals under data protection legislation.
The council also has a Privacy statement which is a general document about how we approach data protection as an organisation and is available on the council’s website Privacy statement | Clare County Council (clarecoco.ie) or on request.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) is used by Clare County Council for a number of purposes and involves the recording of personal data of individuals. The Council is obliged to protect such personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the provisions contained in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The CCTV system at Ennis, Cloughleigh processes data in order to:
- Secure public order and safety in public places by facilitating the deterrence, prevention, detection and prosecution of offences
The legal basis to process personal data in the case of this 14 camera CCTV scheme in public places consists of the following:
- The processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of an official authority vested in Clare County Council, Article 6(1) (e) GDPR and Part 5 of Data Protection Act 2018 (Law Enforcement Directive (LED)) and SI 289/2006.
- In relation to this CCTV scheme, the processing is necessary in the exercise of official authority vested in the council as the joint controller (with An Garda Síochána) under Section 38 of An Garda Síochána Act 2005, Data Protection Acts 1988-2018 (as amended) and SI 289/2006.
Personal data processed by Clare County Council’s CCTV systems consists of the following recordings:
- Images of individuals and images of activities carried out by individuals;
- Images of number plates of vehicles.
- Images of property
Access to the system is strictly limited to a small number of authorised personnel within Clare County Council. No live monitoring occurs. The location of the authorised cameras in public places is given at item 9 of this privacy notice.
Data may be shared with the following recipients:
- Personal data recorded by the CCTV system may be supplied to An Garda Síochána or access to viewing may be provided to An Garda Síochána for the purpose of securing public order and safety in public places by facilitating the deterrence, prevention, detection and prosecution of offences.
- The Council may, to fulfil statutory or regulatory obligations or in the public interest, from time to time, have to share personal data with other organisations or entities (in Ireland or abroad).
- IPB Insurances (Clare County Council's insurance provider) and legal representatives that may be engaged by the Council.
- A third party (data processor) to install, maintain, repair or service the CCTV system, and a data processing agreement has been put in place with the data processor.
Access to CCTV recordings by third parties, such as public bodies, private organisations and individuals other than the data subject, will only be provided in limited circumstances that are permitted by law. Requests for access to CCTV footage shall be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Council’s CCTV and data access request policies and procedures.
There are no plans to transfer the personal data to a third country or international organisation.
Data recorded on CCTV systems shall be kept for no longer than is considered necessary. It will not be retained by Clare County Council beyond a maximum of 28 days, except in circumstances where the data is required for evidential purposes and/or legal proceedings, in which case it will be retained longer than 28 days.
- Right of access by the data subject
- Right to rectification
- Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’)
- Right to restriction of processing
- Right to data portability
- Right to object and automated individual decision-making
Council’s CCTV and data access request policies and procedures are available on www.clarecoco.ie or please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To process an access request, a requester would have to submit their own photographic id to ensure that it matches CCTV recording.
If you are not satisfied with a decision on your request for access to data or to exercise your data protection rights, it is open to you to make a complaint to the Data Protection Commission, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois, Ireland. Before doing so it is recommended that you contact Clare County Council (DPA@clarecoco.ie) to establish the circumstances and to indicate your intention to complain to the Data Protection Commission’s Office. We may be in a position to resolve the problem in a timely manner. If you are not satisfied with our response, or if you do not receive a response, at that point you could make a formal complaint to the Data Protection Commission’s Office.
The Data Protection Commission website www.dataprotection.ie has further details and the forms that are required to be completed if you wish to raise a concern or make a complaint.
The identity and the contact details of the controller:
The contact details of the data protection officer:
Data Protection Office
Telephone: (065) 6846237
|Approved Location||Address||Camera type||Latitude||Longitude|
|1||Coote park, carpark (Pitch)||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 22.0887
W 8° 59' 29.67161
|2||Waterpark Heights||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 27.33918
W 8° 59' 28.29062
|3||McHugh Villas||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 31.51527
W 8° 59' 21.55074
|4||Drumbiggle Road||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 30.38836
W 8° 59' 33.66624
|5||Clancy Park 1||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 33.01069
W 8° 59' 34.46113
|6||Clancy Park 2||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 35.9981
W 8° 59' 26.62258
|7||Cornmarket carpark||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 37.78909
|-8.98961 W 8° 59' 22.25409|
|8||Hermitage||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||52.84495 N 52° 50' 40.3611||
W 8° 59' 33.71555
|9||Pearse Avenue/Childers Rd||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 50.36517
|-8.99579 W 8° 59' 45.55001|
|10||Shallee Drive||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||N 52° 50' 50.49342 52.84721||
W 8° 59' 50.68526
|11||John Paul Avenue||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 49.90502
W 8° 59' 38.29061
|12||Considine Road||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 47.77609
W 8° 59' 37.41962
|13||Island Carpark, Cloughleigh||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 47.30607
W 8° 59' 27.3067
|14||Gordon Drive, Cloughleigh dressing rooms||Sony Predator 360 18x Col/ Mono/ Pan / Tilt & Zoom||
N 52° 50' 46.10771
W 8° 59' 52.28703
Page last reviewed: 29/09/23Back to top